About this recipe
Sometimes you can have it all. Although this quiche is crust-less, the heartiness from the custard, the sweetness of zucchini, and the rich savor of goat cheese will have you feel so complete, even if it's just for a morning start. It's enough
- 1 1/2 lb. medium zucchini or a mixture of summer squashes
- Kosher salt
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups 1-inch, day-old bread cubes, preferably sourdough
- 1 medium white onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz. young goat cheese, such as Montrachet.
- 2 oz. grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese, about 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Shred the squash on the large holes of a box grater, into a colander. Sprinkle with a heaping tablespoon salt and toss well. Place in the sink and drain for 15 minutes. Rinse and the squeeze firmly, by the handful, to remove excess water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, pulse bread into crumbs in a food processor. Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add bread crumbs and stir until evenly toasted, about 5 minutes. Evenly spread crumbs in a 9-inch glass or ceramic pie pan. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Wipe out the skillet, add remaining 2 tbsp. oil, the onions and garlic and season with 1/2 tsp. salt, cook over medium-high heat, until onions are start to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in parsley, dill and marjoram or oregano. Remove from heat, cool slightly.
- Whisk half-and-half, eggs and yolks in large glass measuring cup. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread the zucchini mixture in the prepared pan. Crumble the goat cheese and evenly scatter on the vegetables. Sprinkle Gruyere on top and pour the custard over the fillings.
- Bake until the quiche is just set in the center, about 40 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before serving.